Thursday 24 September 2009

The Goofus Five (1925-1926)

















01.Yes Sir, That's My baby
02.Honey, I'm In Love With You
03.Are You Sorry?
04.I'm Gonna Charleston Back To Charleston
05.Loud Speaking Papa (You'd Better Speak Easy To Me)
06.Sweet Man
07.(Clap Hands) Here Comes Charlie
08.I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight
09.That Certain Party
10.Poor Papa (He's Got Nothing At All)
11.I Wonder What's become Of Joe
12.Ya Gotta Know How To Love
13.Where'd You Get Those Eyes
14.Mary Lou
15.Someone's Losin' Susan
16.Cray Quilt
17.Sadie Green (The Vamp of New Orleans)
18.Heebie Jeebies

The first passage of the sleeve notes on the back of this Lp reads 'Adrian Rollini both guaranteed himself immortality and set up his own ultimate undoing the first time he ever touched a bass saxophone - all by becoming the only major jazz soloist on an instrument with built in obsolescence.' That kinda sums the whole thing up. not that it's anything other than brilliant!! The Goofus Five were just a band that became dated by the late twenties as the string bass moved into prevalence as the main rhythm machine, and if your band is itself named after the instrument (goofus was/is slang for bass sax)..what are you gonna do?? anyway..enjoy (and I apologise for the rubbish Lp photo..best I could do!!)


Clickety Click!

No comments:

Post a Comment